Below are some of the salient highlights from this hour long interview, specifically as they pertain to ThermoDox:
- Margins of ablation are "main Achilles heel" for RFA
- Temperature zone that activates ThermoDox extends "several centimeters" out from center of ablation
- "Very reasonable safety profile"
- "We saw interesting increases in the ablation zone, above and beyond what you would get with RF alone"
- "PFS is an important endpoint for both HCC and metastatic liver disease"
- "Plan is to get around 6 sites in the ABLATE trial...I believe Cleveland Clinic will be the next one"
- "Ablative technologies like RF ablation and ThermoDox might be prime for the addition of an agent after the ablation to try [a la Bayer/Onyxx STORM trial] to hold the response...that is potentially an ideal use for pathway targeting therapies [i.e. like Nexavar, other TKI's, etc.]"
It does not get any better than hearing directly from a key opinion leader in the field, particularly from someone with a specific interest in locoregional treatments of the liver such as Dr. Libutti.